Compile Crazy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Programming Monthly Challenge 1

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The Fellow
Admin
The Fellow

Programming Monthly Challenge 1 Empty
PostSubject: Programming Monthly Challenge 1   Programming Monthly Challenge 1 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:47 pm

For this challenge we are going to start simple. Create a program that given a message, saves it in a file. Some people might already have something like this. The rules, as for most programming challenges, are the following:

1. All submissions can be in any language the submitter chooses, except for languages like brainf*ck.
  2. All submissions must be posted in this forum, to a link to a pastebin, or if the program is small enough, in a code box, specifing the language.
  3. Multilanguage programs are allowed, unless specified.
  4. The judges has any and all rights to disallow anyone from submitting, and/or remove a submission.
  5. follow proper practices, and make your code readable. Readability is a major factor in the judging process.
  6. Have a comment in your code, giving your name, The date of creation, and any notes about the code you see fiting.
  7. If your code is multiple pages long, as if you used OOP programming, you can send the UNcompiled version to me at the.fellow@live.com.
  8. Have fun!

As a reminder:
Objective: program that given a message, or other input, saves it into a file.
Back to top Go down
https://compilecrazy.forumotion.net
Compu-Teck Inc.

PostSubject: Re: Programming Monthly Challenge 1   Programming Monthly Challenge 1 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 1:37 pm

Here's mine:
Program
Back to top Go down
The Fellow
Admin
The Fellow

PostSubject: Re: Programming Monthly Challenge 1   Programming Monthly Challenge 1 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 pm

What version of Python are you using? Kinda hard to pick what is what. And also, if there is MULTIPLE FILES TO THE PROGRAM PLEASE POST THEM, BECAUSE I NEED TO RUN THE CODE TO MAKE SURE IT WORKS.
Back to top Go down
Excimer Sun Software

Excimer Sun Software

PostSubject: Re: Programming Monthly Challenge 1   Programming Monthly Challenge 1 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:04 am

Tadah! Here's mine! It's written in Python 3k. I wrote and tested it using Python 3.1, but it should run just the same in any other 3k version. Here it is: Linky
I wrote the code for the presentation site by hand too, does that count for anything? Laughing

The Fellow
He made it using Python 3k. It doesn't require any external files that it doesn't itself create.

Compu-Teck Inc.
That's more of a user account management program. It doesn't exactly accept a message and write it to a file. In a very loose sense, yes, strictly speaking, no.
Back to top Go down
The Fellow
Admin
The Fellow

PostSubject: Re: Programming Monthly Challenge 1   Programming Monthly Challenge 1 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 9:06 am

Ok here is the percents for all ya:

ESS: 102.5%
Very good, you focused on the bare minimal it seems. You was hurt a good amount when it came for easy usability of the program, if you are going to make them tell what file format to use, you could have atleast added a drop down menu for selecting common ones or something. Your code was nicely commented, and all!

Compu-Teck: 50%
You lost most of your points because even though you did make a program that would write something into a file, it was not what I was looking for. I wanted a program that could write anything to a word file, not just a username and a password. since you did make it to where they could enter a password, you should have had it to where the password was behind something, most commonly asterisks. The program was ok, and I did have a couple runtime errors running it, and that hurt you a bit too. Make sure you fully test the code under all conditions possible to make sure it won't break under any conditions given.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Programming Monthly Challenge 1   Programming Monthly Challenge 1 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Programming Monthly Challenge 1
Page 1 of 1